Learn more about where fields, facilities, trails, monuments and natural areas are located.
If you are interested in reserving a field or facility, apply for a permit and the Permits Office will contact you regarding availability.
- Shandler Ballfields: Jerome Avenue between East 233rd Street & Bainbridge, 1 Little League field, 1 softball field
- Southwest Playground: 1 paved ballfield (multi–use)
- Van Cortlandt Stadium: West 241st Street & Broadway, 3 baseball fields
- Parade Ground: Broadway, West 242nd Street to West 250th Streets, 2 baseball and 2 softball fields
- Kelly Fields: West 259th Street & Broadway, 2 Little League fields
- Caryl Field: West 263rd Street & Broadway, 1 softball field
- Healy Field: Van Cortlandt Park East & 240th Street , 1 Little League field
- Indian Field: East 233rd Street & Van Cortlandt Park East, 1 baseball field, 2 softball
- Van Cortlandt Stadium: West 241st Street & Broadway, 3 half courts (outside stadium)
- Classic Playground: Van Cortlandt Park South & Gouverneur Avenue, 3 full courts
- Woodlawn Playground: West 239th Street & Van Cortlandt Park East, 2 full courts
- Putnam Trail: Van Cortlandt Park South to Yonkers border (and into Westchester County)
- East Coast Greenway: Dickenson Avenue & Van Cortlandt Park South to 242nd Street & Broadway
- Indian Field: East 233rd Street & Van Cortlandt Park East, 2 courts
- Parade Ground: Broadway, West 242nd Street to West 250th Streets, 10 fields
- Stables: 1 field
- Van Cortlandt Lake: East of John Kieran Nature Trail
More information about fishing in New York City Parks
- Parade Ground: West 246th Street to West 251st Street (eastern edge of Parade Ground)
- Van Cortlandt Stadium: West 241st Street & Broadway (1 football/soccer/rugby field)
- Van Cortlandt Golf Course: Bailey Avenue & Van Cortlandt Park South; 18–hole course
Van Cortlandt Golf Course external website
- Mosholu Golf Course: 3545 Jerome Avenue; 9–hole “teaching” course with training programs for young people
Mosholu Golf Course external website
- Classic Playground: Van Cortlandt Park South & Orloff Avenue, 4 courts
- Van Cortlandt Stadium: West 241st Street & Broadway, 9 courts
- Woodlawn Playground: East 239th Street & Van Cortlandt Park East, 2 courts
Located near Van Cortlandt Park East and Kepler Avenue in Van Cortlandt Park.
More information about Healy Field
Located in the northwest section of Van Cortlandt Park, the riding stable sits on 21 acres and currently has 62 stalls. For more information, visit: Riverdale Equestrian Centre.
Ice Skating Rink
The 85’ by 160’ seasonal Van Cortlandt Park Ice Skating Rink is now open to the public from noon to late evening everyday through March. For more information check out www.vcpicerink.com
Located in Van Cortlandt Park along East 233rd Street between Jerome Avenue and Van Cortlandt Park East
More information about Indian Field
Located in the northwest corner of Van Cortlandt Park.
More information about Kelly Field
Located at the southwest corner of Van Cortlandt Park, at the intersection of Broadway and Van Cortlandt Park South.
More information about Kingsbridge Green
The completed Parade Ground contains ten cricket fields, six soccer fields, two baseball and two softball fields. The Parade Ground is encircled by a 1.5 mile running path with fitness stations throughout.
More information about Parade Ground
West 242nd Street & Broadway
Intermediate pool & wading pool
For information, call (718) 548–2415 in July & August only.
- VC Stadium: West 241st Street & Broadway, quarter–mile track
- Parade Ground flats: perimeter trail, 1.5 miles
- Cross Country Running Trail (includes Parade Ground flats): 3–mile and a 5–mile loops
- Van Cortlandt Stadium: West 241st Street & Broadway, 1 multi–use field (soccer/football/rugby field)
- Parade Ground: Broadway, West 246th Street to West 250th Streets, 6 fields
- Indian Field: East 233rd Street & Van Cortlandt Park East, 1 field
- Indian Field: East 233rd Street & Jerome Avenue, 6 courts
- Parade Ground: East of Nature Center, 6 courts
Van Cortlandt Stadium
Located along Broadway and West 242 Street
More information about Van Cortlandt Stadium
Cass Gallagher Nature Trail
Location: A short walk from the intersection of Broadway & Mosholu Avenue, near the horse stables
Length: 1.4 miles
John Kieran Trail
Location: Enter the park by Lake via Van Cortlandt Park South & Bailey Avenue
Length: 1.25 miles
John Muir Trail
Location: Enter at Broadway & Mosholu Avenue or Van Cortlandt Park East & Oneida Avenue
Length: 1.5 miles
Old Croton Aqueduct Trail
Location: Enter at either Dickinson Avenue & Van Cortlandt Park South or Mosholu Parkway & West Gun Hill Road
Length: 1.1 miles
Location: Enter the park at Van Cortlandt Park South & Bailey Avenue
Length: 1.5 miles
Van Cortlandt House Museum
As the Bronx’s oldest house, the Van Cortlandt House Museum testifies to the vivid and eclectic history of New York’s fourth largest park. The 18th-century fieldstone and brick Georgian style manor house is both a New York City Landmark and a National Historical Landmark. It is located in the southwestern part of the park, near Broadway and West 246th Street.
Read more about Van Cortlandt House Museum.
Van Cortlandt Nature Center
The best place for a Ranger station is at the Nature Center. The Van Cortlandt Nature Center serves as a starting point for most of the Urban Park Rangers’ walking tours and workshops for educational programs for the whole family. Exhibits highlighting the diverse landscapes in the park, live animals, and an abundance of informational brochures including maps, the semi-annual Van Cortlandt Park Newsletter and Outdoors in NYC, the Rangers’ quarterly newspaper and calendar are available for visitors. Call the center for hours of operation: (718) 548–0912.
Learn more about Nature Centers.
Forever Wild Preserves
Learn more about Forever Wild Preserves
- Shandler Barbeque Area: Jerome Avenue, south of 233rd Street
Located between Jerome Avenue and the Major Deegan Expressway, south of East 233 Street, the recreation area has two renovated softball fields, bathrooms, benches, and a barbecue area with grills and colorful picnic tables.
- Pool Barbeque Area: Broadway & 242nd Street, in front of the pool
- Shandler Barbeque Area: Jerome Avenue, south of 233rd Street*
- Classic Playground: Van Cortlandt Park South & Gouverneur Avenue*
- Indian Field: Van Cortlandt Park East, north of 233rd Street
- Mosholu Golf House
- Nature Center: West 239th Street, east of Van Cortlandt House Museum
- Park Headquarters: West 243rd Street & Broadway
- Pool Building: West 242nd Street & Broadway (summer only)
- Rockwood Drive/Mosholu Avenue extension, beyond stables*
- Sachkerah Woods Playground: Jerome Avenue & East Gunhill Road
- Van Cortlandt Golf House
- Van Cortlandt Stadium: West 241st Street & Broadway
- Woodlawn Playground*: West 239th Street & Van Cortlandt East*
*Closed in winter
- Canine Court: Enter Broadway & Lakeside Place
- Dog Bone Run: Gates Place & West Gun Hill Road
- Oneida Run: Oneida Avenue & Van Cortlandt Park East
Note: No dogs off leash anywhere, anytime except Dog Runs.
More information about Dogs in New York City Parks
There are four well used playgrounds on the perimeter of the park. Beloved by hundreds of thousands of children, these are designed specifically for children up to 12 years old to socialize, blow off steam, and build physical skills on their own yet supervised by their caretakers who can relax on a nearby bench. Open from the beginning of the day to dusk, playgrounds are open in all kinds of weather. At 80 degrees and above, the spray showers are turned on and when it snows, playgrounds are one of the first areas to be plowed.
- Classic Playground: Van Cortlandt Park South & Gouverneur Avenue
- Sachkerah Woods Playground: Jerome Avenue & East Gun Hill Road
- Southwest Playground: West 240th Street & Broadway
- Woodlawn Playground: West 239th Street & Van Cortlandt East